William Kuhlmann immigrated from Germany to Boerne in the early 1880’s. He built what is now known as the Kuhlmann-King house in the hopes to convince his childhood sweetheart to join him, and it worked! They lived together in the house for only a short time before the untimely and tragic death of his beloved wife and newborn child. William chose to sell the home but remained in Boerne, where he continued to work as the town’s druggist and thrived. In 1912 he was the first in town to buy an automotive. It would have been quite the sight to see Mr. Kuhlmann cruising down Main in his thundering, horseless buggy!